Sandra Garren, Ph.D.
5-11 47th Avenue, Apt 10D, Long Island City, New York, 11101
727-808-5750 (Cell) firstname.lastname@example.org
Sandra Garren has over 25 years of experience in both the academic and environmental consulting fields. Her objective is to use her research ability, project management acumen, and written and oral communication skills to promote sustainable policies and practices in government and business.
Work Experience Summary*
- Sustainability Research Director, Hofstra University. In this role, Dr. Garren leads a team of graduate and undergraduate researchers on a number of sustainability projects conducted mostly in New York.
- Sustainability and Environmental Science Professor, Hofstra University. For over 10 years, Dr. Garren has taught 15 different university courses in New York, California, and Florida that include sustainable development, environmental policy, and geospatial analysis. She has also presented at over 35 professional and academic conferences and has published numerous journal articles, technical reports, and books.
- Environmental and Sustainability Research Consultant. Dr. Garren has been consulting on numerous projects both internationally and across the United States continuously for over 25 years. She has been the lead investigator and has worked with teams to analyze both environmental science and policy. She is a skilled analytical researcher knowledgeable with standard statistical packages and geospatial analysis software such as Microsoft Excel, SPSS, R Programming, and ArcGIS.
- Doctorate of Philosophy, Geography and Environmental Science & Policy, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida (May 2014)
- Master of Education/Teaching, Chapman University, Orange, California (January 2006)
- Bachelor of Arts, Earth Science Major/Geology Minor (Outstanding Senior/Dean’s List), California State University, Northridge, California (May 1991)
· LEED AP Neighborhood Development
· Microsoft Professional in Data Science Certificate (In Progress)
· ISSP Sustainability Associate (SA) Certificate
· Geographic Information System (GIS) Certificate
Highlighted Sustainability and Environmental Projects
- Garren is currently co-editing and authoring chapters in two sustainability case study books. The first book is an international case study book with 42 authors, and the second is an American suburb case study book with 20 authors. Her chapter contributions include renewable energy in Burlington, Vermont and the symbiotic relationship between New York City and its suburban communities. Both books will be published early 2018.
- Garren has consulted with numerous governmental agencies and organizations. Recently in New York, she has been working with the Town of Hempstead on renewable energy data management and the City of Long Beach on their rooftop solar program. She also has been leading a research team to assess nitrogen and bacterial concentrations in Oyster Bay.
- In Florida, Dr. Garren completed baseline energy and greenhouse gas projects for the City of Clearwater, Pinellas County, and on state conservation lands in the State of Florida. Her doctoral dissertation examined the effectiveness of greenhouse gas and climate policy at the local level.
- In her consulting experience, Dr. Garren has completed projects in all sectors of the economy and in many fields of environmental science including geologic, solid waste, hazardous waste, and air/water quality investigations. She has also completed 100s of environmental assessments in multiple states.